LONDON — As in the recent terrorist attacks in European cities like Paris, Nice and Brussels, the dual assaults in the Spanish cities of Barcelona and Cambrils that killed at least 14 and left 80 others bloodied and broken reverberated around the world because the victims represented 34 nationalities.
The dead included a Belgian mother who was on vacation with her husband and two young sons; an Italian man who was mowed down while holding his 5-year-old son’s hand; an American whom the State Department would not identify out of respect for the victim’s family.
The injured, some in serious condition, were from other countries like Australia, France, Pakistan, Russia, Turkey, Taiwan and Venezuela, according to the Spanish authorities.
The attack underscored the fact that modern-day terrorism tends to be as international as it is indiscriminate.
When an assailant drove a white van through Las Ramblas, in Barcelona, weaving and zigzagging on one of Europe’s most famous streets to make sure to hit as many people as possible on Thursday, tourists inevitably were among those hit.
That attack killed 13, according to the authorities in Spain. A woman injured in another episode in Cambrils, south of Barcelona, later died of her injuries, the police said. Four men were arrested in the attacks, and five suspects were killed by the police in Cambrils.
“They are trying to make a statement by attacking the West in general, and by attacking big, cosmopolitan, Western cities, they are striking at the heart of that,” said Raffaello Pantucci, director of International Security Studies at the Royal United Services Institute, a security-focused research institute in London.
In doing so, terrorists often tend to target popular locations that attract many tourists, he added. “Clearly it does tie us to the attacks a little more, it’s a reflection of globalization,” Mr. Pantucci said.
In addition to the American killed, another unidentified United States citizen sustained a minor injury. In its statement, the State Department said the identity of the person killed was withheld “out of respect for the family’s privacy in their time of grief.”
Jared Tucker, a 42-year-old American construction worker from Lafayette, Calif., has been missing since the attack, according to his wife, Heidi Nunes-Tucker, who is a teacher. Ms. Nunes-Tucker, 40, said that she and her husband had been on a vacation to celebrate their first wedding anniversary, and were drinking on a patio moments before the van began to plow through tourists on Las Ramblas.
Ms. Nunes-Tucker said that her husband had gone to the bathroom, and she was pushed inside a souvenir kiosk and then quickly ushered away from the scene by Spanish police. She has not seen her husband since.
“I can’t understand why this would be happening at all,” she said, speaking from a Spanish courthouse where she had been summoned by the police. She was accompanied by an official from the American Consulate, and was waiting to learn whether the American who Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson had said was dead was, indeed, her husband.
“If that is, in fact, my husband — he was just full of life and the most magnetic person,” she said. “Everyone wanted to be around him, and so for him to not be here just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to me. My heart is just broken. He’s the love of my life.”
There were reports that a 7-year-old child with dual nationalities may be missing, but it could not be independently confirmed.
Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain said her government was investigating reports of a missing child who was a British dual national.
Among those killed was Elke Vanbockrijck, a 44-year-old mother from Tongeren, Belgium, who was with her husband and two young sons in Barcelona, according to Belgian news reports. The mayor of Tongeren, Patrick Dewael, confirmed that a female victim was from Tongeren, but he did not identify her. News media reports identified her either as Elke V. or by her full name.
During the attack, Ms. Vanbockrijck’s husband pushed their two small boys aside, although one was injured, according to reports. His wife died at the scene, said the Dutch newspaper Het Belang Van Limburg.
Ms. Vanbockrijck had worked as an office clerk at the Belgian postal company. Her husband is a soldier in the Belgian Army, the newspaper reported.
Didier Reynders, the Belgian minister of foreign affairs, posted on Twitter that two Belgians were also hospitalized, with “one in a critical state.”
The nature of the international threat was underscored by Mr. Dewael, a lawmaker who is a presiding member of a parliamentary commission investigating last year’s deadly terrorist attack in Brussels, where the main airport and metro were bombed.
“This reminds of the attacks that happened here,” he said, adding: “Absolute security does not exist. An attack like yesterday in Barcelona cannot be prevented.”
In Italy, Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni identified two victims: Luca Russo, 25, and Bruno Gulotta, 35. He said that all Italians mourned them with their families.
Mr. Gulotta, a marketing and sales manager and father of two, died in front of his partner and two young children, who narrowly escaped being hit by the van, according to news agency reports.
The Italian media reported that Mr. Gulotta had been holding the hand of Alessandro, 5, when he and his partner, Martina Sacchi, who had their baby, Aria, strapped to her chest in a carrier, heard a noise. Mr. Gulotta instinctively tried to shield his son, but was hit just as his partner pulled the boy away.
Mr. Gulotta’s death was confirmed by a manager on the website of the online publication where he worked, Tom’s Hardware Italia.
“Bruno put his soul into his work while managing to divide his life between his job and his family,” Andrea Ferrario, the chief operating officer and editor in chief of Tom’s Hardware, said in a telephone interview. “Everything he did, all the passion he put in at work, he did to improve the condition of his family,” he said.
Mr. Ferrario said he had just turned on the news when he sat down for dinner on Thursday and first heard of the attack. “I thought to myself, Bruno is in Barcelona. Never in a million years would I have thought that he could have been involved,” he said.
Not long after, he heard through a colleague that Mr. Gulotta had been killed.
The other Italian victim, Mr. Russo, was in Barcelona for a vacation with his girlfriend, identified as Marta Scomazzon, who was also struck by the van and remained in the hospital.
Reached at his home, Mirco Scomazzon said, “My daughter is fine,” but he declined to speak further. Italian news media reported that Ms. Scomazzonn had suffered a fractured foot and elbow.
The two lived in Bassano del Grappa in northeastern Italy. Mr. Russo had an engineering degree from the University of Padua. Riccardo Poletto, the mayor of Bassano del Grappa, who teaches religion at the high school where Mr. Russo went to school, remembered him as a good student
The mayor said Ms. Scomazzon had worked as an intern in the City Hall press office last year and she also sang in a local choir. Mr. Poletto ordered all flags in the city to fly at half-staff until the funeral.
“We’re also planning a moment of commemoration for Luca, to demonstrate solidarity with the family,” he said.
The Spanish authorities said a 60-year-old man, Francesco Lopez Rodriguez, of Granada, died in the attack. His wife was severely wounded.
Other casualties included:
• Three Dutch citizens. They were in the hospital after the attack in Barcelona, according to local news media reports. Among them were Jako and Bertha Bijl, who are from just outside the eastern Netherlands village of Ommen. She had surgery after sustaining fractures and lacerations in the attack and her husband was injured after he was apparently trampled by fleeing people. A 16-year-old identified only as Karlijn, a friend of the couple’s daughter, suffered two broken legs in the attack.
• An Irish couple, originally from the Philippines, Norman and Pederlita Putot, and their children were caught up in the attack, the Philippine Embassy in Madrid said. The son and father suffered injuries.
• Thirteen Germans, many of them so severely injured in Barcelona that they were fighting for their lives, said Martin Schäfrer, spokesman for Germany’s Foreign Ministry.
On Friday, Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, condemned the events in Barcelona as a strike against democracy, but vowed that neither Germany nor its Western partners would bow to what she called the “murderous attacks.” She expressed solidarity with the people of Spain.
“We yet again felt how closely we Germans, Spaniards and all people in the free world are bound together,” Ms. Merkel said. “We are bound together first and foremost in deep sorrow for those who were torn from their lives in such a brutal way, on a beautiful summer day.”
Continue reading the main story