Their deaths raised questions about the United Nations and its work in dangerous parts of the world. Almost two months passed before it assembled a panel to look into what had gone wrong.
The Security Council may order a more formal investigation, but it has yet to take concrete steps in that direction.
The meeting on Tuesday was convened to update the Council on investigations into the deaths, including those conducted by the Congolese authorities, according to Stéphane Dujarric, a spokesman for the United Nations secretary general. Congolese officials said on Sunday that they had completed their investigation of the killings and that two suspects in the case would soon face trial, though no date was given.
The New York Times reported recently that Ms. Catalán had been looking into whether Mr. Kanku played a role in inciting violence last year in the Kasai region.
Congo’s attorney general, Flory Numbi, told reporters on Tuesday that he had requested permission from the National Assembly to conduct preliminary searches of Mr. Kanku’s property. Parliament’s permission is required because Mr. Kanku is a member, and lawmakers are generally immune from prosecution.
Mr. Kanku, who was dismissed this month as minister of development, has close links to the militia fighters in the Kasai area. It is widely believed that he was brought into President Joseph Kabila’s coalition government last year specifically to bring the rebels to heel.
Ms. Catalán kept more than 100 files in a folder on her computer under Mr. Kanku’s name. Among them was a recording of a telephone conversation that Mr. Kanku apparently had in August with a subordinate. In the recording, the two men are heard discussing militia violence generally and several specific episodes, including a successful jailbreak, the assassinations of a colonel and other officials, and the deliberate burning of Tshimbulu, a town in the region.
The recording surfaced on Congolese social media shortly after The Times published its report, and it was widely shared.
Questions remain over the government’s involvement in the militia violence. It apparently was aware of the recording before Mr. Kanku was brought into the cabinet in December.
Mr. Kanku tried to hold a news conference at his residence on Tuesday to respond to allegations about his role and that of the government in the violence. However, a swarm of police officers appeared on the scene, surrounding the house and aggressively chasing away reporters and photographers.
“We don’t want to see any more journalists here!” one officer shouted.
Mr. Kanku gave a written statement to one reporter: “I am convinced that light will be shed on this case and that justice will be given to the many victims of abominable abuses in the Kasai, including the two experts of the United Nations.”
Continue reading the main story