The new attack immediately revived concerns that militants might again be targeting the Tube — the world’s oldest subway system, and one of its busiest.
The explosion occurred at 8:20 a.m. Friday on a District Line train as it left the Parsons Green station, in Southwest London.
A reporter for the commuter daily Metro who was at the scene reported that several people had been badly burned. There were numerous reports of people with cuts or bruises as people raced to leave the train. One woman was taken away on a stretcher, with burns on her face, according to the BBC.
A photo widely circulated on social media showed a white bucket inside a bag on fire, with wires coming out of it, but it did not appear to show any significant damage to the train car.
But details were sketchy, as the authorities focused on establishing the facts.
The Metropolitan Police said only that an “incident” occurred, but advised people to stay away from the area.
“We have sent multiple resources to the scene including single responders in cars, ambulance crews, incident response officers and our hazardous area response team, with the first of our medics arriving in under five minutes,” Natasha Wills, assistant director of operations at the London Ambulance Service, said in a statement. “Our initial priority is to assess the level and nature of injuries.”
Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, has appealed for calm. Downing Street said Theresa May is receiving regular updates.
Service on the District Line between Edgware Road and Wimbledon was suspended.
London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, said he was monitoring the situation.
Continue reading the main story