Videos of clashes at the Al-Aqsa mosque have surfaced via social media, as Palestinians entered the compound for the first time in weeks on Thursday.
Around 50 Palestinians were injured after Israeli forces entered the mosque, the Times of Israel reported, citing the Palestinian Red Crescent.
On Wednesday, Israeli officials removed additional security measures installed after two Israeli Arabs killed two police officers outside the compound two weeks ago.
The security measures had sparked protests and violence which saw four Palestinians and a family of settlers killed.
READ MORE: Israel agrees to remove metal detectors from Temple Mount after wave of violent protests
On Thursday, worshippers entered Al-Aqsa for the first time in almost two weeks, but tensions reportedly arose when Israeli forces refused to open one of the gates.
According to sources cited by the Times of Israel, police opened and closed the gate, before reportedly firing stun grenades to disperse the crowd. The gate was then closed and the area was barricaded off.
The Israeli Police said in a tweet that worshippers “began throwing stones at the policemen,” and that forces “dispersed” them using “control methods.”
“A policeman was hit by a stone in the head,” the police said, adding that the situation had calmed considerably since then.
עם כניסת מתפללים להר הבית, החל ידויי אבנים לעבר השוטרים, במהלכם אבנים בודדות נפלו ברחבת הכותל, ללא נפגעים
— משטרת ישראל (@IL_police) July 27, 2017
Other recent videos shared on social media appear to show people fleeing from the area of the mosque.
Video footage shared on social media shows uniformed officials running through the compound, while other videos show people running away from the scene.